Happiness Factor
Here they are, along with my own thoughts:
1. Don't hold grudges.
HK: This is way important. By making the conscious decison to not hold a grudge, a huge burden is automatically lifted off your shoulders.
2. Treat everyone with kindness.
HK: Live the golden rule. You want people to be nice to you? That means you gotta be nice to them. Plus, it's what Jesus would do. He would be nice to the jerks and the people that use you.
3. See problems as challenges.
HK: And more importantly, as opportunities. For personal growth and positive change.
4. Express gratitude for what they already have.
HK: I find life goes pretty good when I take the time to thank God for all of the blessings and wonderful things I have in this life. Everything comes from him. And he will continue to bless us if we show some appreciation.
5. Dream big.
HK: My motto is, "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." The only thing to fear is fear itself. So -- go for it!!
6. Don't sweat the small stuff.
HK: As someone once wrote in my Junior High yearbook: Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. Good advice.
7. Speak well of others.
HK: Golden rule again. Don't talk crap about other people if you don't want them doing the same thing about you when you're not around. Let's try to build each other up, in person or otherwise. Too much negativity out there.
8. Never make excuses.
HK: There are two types of people in this world: those who makes excuses and those who make things happen. Taking personal responsibility is a huge step in maturity.
9. Get absorbed into the present.
HK: This goes along with having no regrets. When you're 90, what are you really going to remember and care about? What really matters? Living a full life and creating memories is priceless. All the money in the world can't replace life experience and hard-learned lessons. And that's what you'll remember.
10. Wake up at the same time every morning.
HK: This is a huge challenge for me, although I see the logic in this. Getting in a routine is a great idea. I think people tend to be more productive the earlier they get up (granted they got enough sleep the night before).
11. Avoid social comparison.
HK: This took years for me to master, and is still something I struggle with from time to time. We need to remember that we are all unique and it's silly to think we can ever be compared to someone else. There are so many variables that go into each person. We are all different on purpose and we should embrace it! I know from personal experience when I don't compare my looks to someone else, I feel so liberated and free. I don't look like Barbie and I'm ok with that.
12. Choose friends wisely.
HK: I read somewhere that the five people you spend the most time with you start to become. I think there's a lot of truth to that. Sometimes you have to take a step back and evaluate who you hang around. Do they inspire you to become better, or do they drag you down?
13. Never seek approval from others.
HK: One of my favorite sayings is this: What other people think of me is none of my business. I love that because it's so freeing. It's too much work to care what everyone thinks about you. Life's too short and I've got better things to do than worry and obsess. Such as eating chocolate and wasting time on Pinterest.
14. Take the time to listen.
HK: Dale Carnegie says in "How to Win Friends and Influence People" that listening is one of the most important sales tactics. People want to be heard. It validates them and makes them feel important. I firmly believe you'll get further in life by becoming a good listener.
15. Nurture social relationships.
HK: There's a lot of lonliness out there. You can make an impact. You can make a difference just by smiling and being friendly. Everyone needs a friend, and everyone needs to feel needed and wanted. I don't chase people. I've accepted some people will only be in my life for a season. And that's ok. But some people are worth maintaining long-term relationships with. Don't forget about friends that have impacted your life. I've also stopped waiting for other people to reach out to me and initiate activity. If I want a friend, I need to be one.
16. Meditate.
HK: Life is crazy. People are crazy. And sometimes you need to take a breather and just chill out. Meditation is amazing for that. I try to have my alone time for at least an hour every day, so I can reflect on where I'm going in life and what I need to work on.
17. Eat well.
HK: I struggle with eating healthy. I have a sweet tooth and love junk food. But I always feel better and more ready to take on the world when I eat healthy. There is a lot of value in treating our bodies with care. If you're sick it limits you in a lot of ways.
18. Exercise.
HK: I struggle with this too. You'll avoid a lot of health problems by being active, even if that's just going for a 30 minute walk daily. When I exercise regularly, I find that I sleep better and have a better mood. Weight loss is also a benefit.
19. Live minimally.
HK: I have so much crap and it weighs me down. It's a pain to move and stresses me out when I don't use it. I'd be better off by getting rid of half my stuff. If only I weren't so sentimental...
20. Tell the truth.
HK: It's a lot of work to keep up the lies. You have to lie to cover up a lie, etc. Save yourself the energy and just be honest. After all, you want people to be honest with you.
21. Establish personal control.
HK: This is huge. Self control can't be taught. It has to be experienced. Indulgence and laziness are bad. Very bad. You're better off if you learn this sooner rather than later, and have the desire to do something about it.
22. Accept what cannot be changed.
HK: This reminds me of the serenity prayer, which so beautifully says: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. A huge weight is lifted when we accept what is. Not what should or could be, but is. This is especially true in other people. We can't change others, we can only change ourselves.
Heidi! So glad you are back. Can't wait to live through you ;) Great post and reminder.
ReplyDelete